Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Increasing student persistence with Dweck's mindset theory

Carol Dweck's "mindset" theory is very useful in preparing students to take risks and persist in the face of challenge. (Thanks to master teachers Susan Reddoor and Merrill Watrous for recommending this resource!)

To summarize briefly and broadly, Dweck describes two attitudes towards success: fixed mindset and growth mindset.

Fixed mindset is the conviction that your success comes from talent - something you were born with. Growth mindset is the belief that your success comes from effort.

The problem with fixed mindset is that if you believe that your success is based on talent, you tend to avoid risk and challenge. Failing is a sign that you don't have as much talent as you thought you had.

On the other hand, growth mindset supports learning and the risks that come with it. If you believe that your success will come through effort, failure is not a permanent condition and does not need to be feared. It's just a stop on the road to success.

Dweck's book is filled with true stories from sports and business that demonstrate her points.

Here's how I use Dweck's theory:

1. I assign students to read a short excerpt about Michael Jordan and how he achieved it. This could be in class, with partners, or started in class and completed at home.

2. I give students a prompt and two sample reflections I wrote describing a time I was successful and whether I believe that success came from talent or effort. They read the sample in class and review directions for writing their own reflection online in the Moodle course shell for homework. This writing could also be started in class.

3. At the next class I ask students to think/pair/share in class about their reactions to the reading and whatever they wish to share about their own experiences (this is optional, since some reflections are very personal).

4. I then lead a group discussion about mindset and how it affects learning.

When I used this assignment in Week 1 I found students performed noticeably better on more challenging assignments later in the term. It was clear that students found this assignment affirming. I have many students who overcome huge challenges just to enroll in community college, and who do not see themselves as having "talent." The message that success comes through effort is supportive and prepares them, psychologically, to persist in the face of academic challenge.

After the first use I rewrote my sample reflection. I divided it into two samples - reflecting differing points of view, so that students understand that I am seeking an honest reflection, not a "right answer," i.e., a reflection that parrots the mindset described in the sample.




No comments:

Post a Comment