Thursday, September 12, 2013

Badges as assessment planning

In my dreams I start each term with an assessment plan that identifies the learning goals for each week, the learning objectives that get students to the goal, and my plan for assessing student progress on each of the objectives. For me this the holy grail - worth seeking but not easily attained!

This term I am experimenting with creating badges based on the learning objectives. It seems like a badge could be a miniature segment of an assessment plan - incorporating the learning objective and the assessment in one virtual, visual object that would make the plan transparent for students and be useful not just for planning the course but for measuring student progress during and after the term.

So far I am failing at this, making the same mistake over and over. Here are badges I have created:

I started with tech objectives for a class that dematerialized, then shifted to badges to clarify the pieces of a Career Awareness curriculum I am inheriting. I gave the different "series" of badges (meaning courses or units within courses) distinct shapes. Ideally there would be a way to put them in folders. 

Sample badge for Career Awareness:


Problem: Creating a milestone diagram is something a student does, and it can be my assessment evidence, but it's not the learning objective the student achieved. Perhaps the learning objective goes in the Description, and the Criteria is the assessment plan, like this:




No comments:

Post a Comment