Thursday, September 12, 2013

Disability accommodation in the syllabus/course description

I'm reviewing my course descriptions for start of term, and pondering the disability accommodation paragraph that gets tacked on to the end. I came upon a valuable article in the Chronicle of Higher Education discussing the topic.

The author argues for re-writing the paragraph so that it's a positive statement about universal design of the learning environment to include all students. He suggests moving the statement up top, above the learning objectives, to make it clear this is a key feature of the course design.

He provides a model statement:

"Universal Learning

I am committed to the principle of universal learning. This means that our classroom, our virtual spaces, our practices, and our interactions be as inclusive as possible. Mutual respect, civility, and the ability to listen and observe others carefully are crucial to universal learning.

Any student with particular needs should contact [Name], the Academic Access and Disability Resources Coordinator, at the start of the semester. The Dean of Students’ office will forward any necessary information to me. Then you and I can work out the details of any accommodations needed for this course."


I like the content, especially the shift to address all students instead of the tiny subset who are eligible for, and make it through the formal accommodations process. Two tweaks for my setting: 
  • The style and vocabulary are high academic. I'm guessing that universal learning, virtual spaces, inclusive, civility and crucial will cause fundamental ABE readers to stumble. 
  • This calls for longer text. I'm aiming for a 2-page course description with lots of white space.
Riffing on his model, then, I took a stab at a blended, improved one for my courses, inserted at the top.

Working around barriers (EARLIER DRAFT):
I do my best to design and lead this course so that everyone can learn! If something is getting in the way of your learning, let me know right away. You may also be eligible for formal accommodations if you need support or assistance because of a disability. Contact the Disability Resources at (541) 463-5150 (TTY 463-3079), or stop by Building 1, Room 218.

Then I checked this against campus policy. Our college requires that we include specific accommodation language in our syllabuses, in 12 point font that is easy to read.


UPDATED VERSION - 12 point font - regular, black text - for the middle of the first page: 

Working around barriers:
I do my best to design and lead this course so that everyone can learn! If something is getting in the way of your learning, let me know right away. You may also be eligible for formal accommodations. To request assistance or accommodations related to disability, contact Disability Resources at (541) 463-5150 (voice), 711 (TTY), disabilityresources@lanecc.edu (e-mail), or stop by Building 1, Room 218. 

Please be aware that any accessible tables and chairs in this room should remain available for authorized students who find that standard classroom seating is not usable.

Here is the context I create to address the mutual civility/respect concept:

Expectations:      The motto of this class is “All for one, and one for all.”


You can expect me to:
  • Prepare lessons that help you understand what you read and read more easily.
  • Follow your progress to help you reach your educational goals.
  • Treat you with respect.
  • Be ready to start class on time, with the materials needed.
  • Give the class my undivided attention.
  • Be available to meet with you privately when you need 1-on-1 support.
  • Return your work promptly.
  • Ask questions and make mistakes as I learn what you need as you learn.
  • Do my best.

I will expect you to:
  • Take risks and make mistakes as you learn.
  • Ask questions when you don’t understand.
  • Ask for support when you need it.
  • Treat others with respect.
  • Attend every class, giving the class your undivided attention.
  • Be ready to start class on time, with the materials you need.
  • Participate actively and positively in class.
  • Study at home roughly ½ hour each day.
  • Complete assignments on time.
  • Do your best.

No comments:

Post a Comment