Tuesday, May 28, 2013

narration and voice in tutorials

My first deep exposure to online video tutorials was watching Adrienne Mitchell's screencasts for Math 10. Some of Adrienne's strengths include her quiet, direct and simple way of explaining the steps.

Recently I shared some of my own tutorials with Adrienne. She remarked that I don't sound like myself. I agree! I sound weird on my videos. Why? I have been unconsciously mimicking Adrienne's style.  When I teach live I am high energy and sometimes high volume, joking around, drawing analogies, telling stories. I need to find my "voice" on video.

A speaker at the League for Innovation conference in Dallas this year confirmed my hunch on this.  She recommended that video narrators "perk up" the voice and energy level several notches above live performance levels because the camera dulls the presentation.

I am doubtful that there is a single piece of advice for every narrator, but I'd like to get my videos closer in line with my live teaching.  Here's an example of a tutorial I made as part of this "voice" experiment. I'm not where I want to be yet, but this seems closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment